Saturday, November 17, 2007

Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray

I can hardly presume to write a review about such an obvious classic. This was certainly a good one, although seemed a bit long - but there was ultimately a positive resolution, so that made it worthwhile. Of course Amelia is a sweet lady and deserves her happy ending (as does patient, faithful Dobbin)... but Becky is so much more entertaining! so I'm glad she made it to the end as well. I need to see the recent movie version, but I'm glad I did read the book first... I don't see how any movie could effectively work in all the unspoken elements, like the characters' feelings and thoughts, and the author's funny little digressions. I thought Thackeray had excellent (and amusing) insights about human nature. Really, it's not the story itself, but the way that it's told that makes it a great work of literature.

No comments: